If you want a smooth journey to and in Cambodia, you should definitely take care of your visa application before reaching the country. This is the best way to reduce bureaucracy, optimize the time spent for legal papers, and stay safe.
How to Obtain the Cambodian Visa
- Online e-visa from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cambodia ($25). This is the fastest and simplest way possible and it comes with the big advantage that you actually deal with the entire process in your terms and in your language!
- Classic visa from the Cambodian embassy in your country.
- Receive it on arrival at Siem Reap or Phnom Penh airports.
- Receive it when crossing the land border from Thailand, Vietnam, or Laos. This may imply additional fees and the entire process may not run as smoothly as in the other cases.
- Your passport;
- 1 3×4 cm photo;
- 1 passport photocopy;
- $20 standard processing fee (price varies for visa extensions and other particular situations).
Types and Costs for Visas
Standard types include tourist and business visas. In most cases a visa for one month (valid for three months) will suffice. Standard visas are for single entry. A tourist visa is issued for one month, with one-month extension when requested. Business visas are more flexible, and can be extended to three months, six months, and one year.
Here’s a table with the official costs, apart from the standard processing fee. Please note that this information is subject to change without prior notice.
|Type||Duration of Stay||Fees ($)|
|One month extension||35|
|One month extension||35|
|Three months extension||65|
|Six months extension||125|
|One year extension||200|
If you overstay, you need to pay $5 a day.
Good to Know (Important)
- The validity of a visa is from its issuing date, not from the date of arrival in Cambodia.
- There are many unofficial solutions which reduce the processing times at higher costs. We strongly recommend you avoid such transactions, even if they may seem appealing. Instead of losing time in the country with local bureaucracy, it’s preferable to arrange this matter before your arrival.
- Extending your visa takes a lot of time.
- If you don’t have a 3×4 cm picture, you will have to pay an additional 1$ fee.
- If you enter Cambodia by land from Thailand, visa prices are in Thai baht and exchange rates can be way higher than you’d expect.
- You can be sure taxi and bus drivers will offer their assistance for obtaining a visa. You don’t need that.
- For any additional fee, ask for a receipt.
- You can use a travel agency for visa extensions. You can find trustable agencies at Siem Reap and Phnom Penh airports.
- Some nationals (Algeria, Bangladesh, Iran, etc.) should contact local embassies before requesting a visa. However, most, if not all, countries in the EU and USA ensure smooth passage. Check this information with your local authorities.